Whereas her post was directed to compare her own experience with choosing between Gastric Bypass, Lap Band, or Gastric Sleeve-- my post is about choosing weight loss surgery.
First, let me get the inevitable competitive nastiness and comparisons out of the way. I am not here to say any one surgery is the 'better' choice. I am not a physician, I'm a person with my own long history of weight struggles.
I believe that the recommendation by the surgeon is often informed by the surgeon's experiences, expertise, and personal/ professional position on which surgery is "best" for his or her patients.
Now that I've gotten the "this is surgery is better than THAT surgery" question out of the way (since it is IMPOSSIBLE to answer in a global context... it has to be personalized decision making)... let's talk about my favorite topic:
(There's nothing like the strikethrough for a little chuckle!)
My decision making to get the band was not complicated by whether or not to get Gastric Bypass or a Sleeve... those were not options for my particular case. The only 'option' for me was the Lap Band, and that one was "off label" for me as well.
I was 196 pounds at 5 feet 4 inches when I first decided to go see my surgeon, Dr. Ren.
I was nearing 39 years old at the time, and after a week of trying what usually worked to get some weight off (using vacation time for work for a 'staycation' and exercising hard every day while cutting back on my intake)-- I'd gotten absolutely NOWHERE with my weight.
I was scared and sad.
I cried a lot, and had what I'd term a personal crisis and then a realization that I had to do more and get some help. That is where my idea of seeing Dr. Ren emerged.
I was fortunate to be working in a position where I could get a fairly immediately appointment (maybe 5 days later) with Dr. Ren-- so I cut to the chase and saw her to discuss my predicament.
I completed the preparatory paperwork for the visit-- and filling out an Excel spreadsheet (my creation) of my weight history-- complete with a graph showing the steady GAIN over the course of my 30's convinced me that something had to be done, all the more.
Dr. Ren immediately understood what was going on with my weight.
She said that while my BMI was not at the level that typically dictated the surgery (I was somewhere around 34, as I recall, and I had NO comorbid conditions,) she saw the pattern and did not think I would ever overcome my weight problem on my own. I'll emphasize that she said that were I 20 years old, rather than nearing 40, and had I not tried every diet in the book, she'd have sent me to her nutritionist for conservative diet approach.
She also said that she could give me appetite suppressants, but that they would not be extremely effective in the long run.
So, after a brief discussion-- and a wonderful feeling of being understood for me-- WOW, she really got it that I was trying and couldn't DO THIS without more help!!!-- she took out her paperwork for me to sign about having the lap band OFF LABEL. This means that the FDA had not approved the lap band for people in my weight class. In fact, it is still not approved, and still off label for me...
Remember: the INSURANCE industry, with a bunch of actuaries, is deciding whether or not you or I should have weight loss surgery.
My surgeon absolutely felt it was indicated.
However: the insurance industry thought and thinks that I wasn't fat enough or sick enough (YET) to get the surgery. I would have needed to have diabetes, high blood pressure, chronic back pain or skin ulcerations... you name it-- something expensive for insurance to treat, in order to justify the large outlay of money that my insurance would need to make for me to have the surgery.
So: I needed to be self-pay.
Being self-pay (to the tune of nearly $15,000) for the surgery smoothed the way for me-- there were no insurance approvals needed, no major waits. But of course, I had to shell out that large sum.
But I'll tell you, it was and continues to be worth it.
Here I am today, at about 158.8 pounds this am, healthier and more confident than before. I'm not 'dieting' but living my life.... sometimes it is not easy with the band, but at least I am no longer struggling to figure out HOW TO GET THIS WEIGHT OFF.
Can I get an Amen?
And that is why I got the band.

9 comments:
Amen indeed!
double amen!
I am still running...keeping up with week 1-2 along with my training!!
I am very proud that I have kept up with the running. Can't say that I LOVE it outside. tends to hurt me more! But my breathing is getting better!
Love Love your story!!! You get a HUGE AMEN from me!!! My BMI was just under high enough...by I do suffer comorbidities...but my insurance still wouldn't pay. So i'm a self pay too, and at three weeks post op today...it's already been worth it for me!!!
dede
Amen. I too could only get the lapband (BMI was 34). And I paid. No insurance coverage here in Canada yet for the band, only Gastric Bypass but it is a long wait for surgery. I paid about the same as you and have probably save almost that much by being healthier.
Amen, girl! Self-pay here too, and glad I did it.
Amen! I was self-pay too. I'm glad I didn't have to jump through all the hoops!
Very well said. My story is very similar to yours (BMI of 35, no co-morbidities, self-pay, and only about 1 month out since surgery.)
AMEN! I didn't know the whole story --- so glad you posted it! As a fellow private-pay patient, I couldn't agree more -- it was worth every last penny.
Hi there! I'm a new follower.
Thanks for posting your story. It's very similar to my own.
I've hovered around 34 BMI for the past 10 years or so. I actually went on an UN-diet for a couple of weeks to push me to 35(sad but true) so I could qualify for surgery, but I don't have any comordid conditions YET, but my PCP thinks she can get my insurance to consider my family history and and weight history and get me covered. Either way, I'm having the surgery - insurance paid or not. I, like you, know if will be money well spent. I'd pay any amount of money to get my life back.
I also put together an excel graph for my insurance company and surgeon illustrating my steady weight gain and up and down dieting since 1998. Like you said, it's obvious I'm not gonna be able to get this weight off on my own. Why would I wait until until my BMI is 40 and I DO have comorbid conditions? That's crazy.
Congratulations on your success! I look forward to following your journey.
Post a Comment