'Pat' has now ostensibly gone from the blogosphere-- and I think it is one of those cases of 'burning fast and bright' and then 'burning out.'
Without spending too much more time on the story, Pat argued a lot with many bloggers and had strong opinions about how people ought to go about losing weight. Pat, like many of us, had a life-long struggle with obesity, but during the time that Pat was blogging, Pat was under HEAVY DUTY control of an eating plan-- and was quite impatient with those who could not show the same dedication.
And now Pat is gone in a poof. My suspicion is that Pat is out there, gaining weight or struggling, but having been so judgmental of others has now been backed into a corner by extreme opinions and judgments that must be logically applied to oneself.
You see: losing weight and keeping it off are NOT about burning fast and bright-- they are about a low and steady flame that keeps burning. You don't need to throw all of the logs onto the fire at once and make a gigantic bonfire-- that just causes you to run out of proverbial 'fuel.'
Instead: losing weight is a lifestyle-- and that is why I and so many other bloggers abhor the word or the notion 'dieting.' Dieting suggests burning fast and bright. Lifestyle implies changes that are lasting... that are ingrained into your day to day and that you don't need to beat the crap out of yourself or anyone else to convince yourself to do make them and keep on going.
And that brings me to RUNNING.
I noticed that our blogger friend, Amanda (I'll try to link her blog, but if I don't have a chance look in my comments for her-- she is a frequent commenter here...) tried running recently and decided that it wasn't for her and was a hateful activity.
I commented back to her and said I'd gladly give some running advice (from my humble perspective) because I am a lifetime lover of running. I don't always run regularly (and you might call what I do 'jogging' because it is hardly fast..) but whenever I do, I find it to be a simple pleasure. I've gained a lot of 'running maturity' over the years that I am glad to share.
I definitely think it is too daunting of a task to give all of my advice in one post-- so let's start here:
Running is a lot like losing weight!!
Learning to be a runner (if you're going to do it right, keep away from injuries and enjoy yourself in the process) is a LONG HAUL. There is NO 'burning fast and bright' way to learn to run.
On the plus side, and in my opinion-- the DAY you decide to learn how to run and decide to commit to a running program, you get to call yourself a 'runner.' You get to own that venerable title and no one can take it from you. And as you run, your body will thank you with quick progress, provided that you keep on 'low burn' and don't try to throw all of your logs onto the fire in the first few weeks or even months.
So here is my advice for 'beginner running-- weeks 1 and 2.'
Commit to a RUNNING TRAINING program for these 2 weeks. That means promising yourself 30 minutes THREE times each week for 2 weeks.
Is that so much?
Here's what you do and I am going to keep it VERY simple so as to keep from being overwhelming.
Week 1:
Runs 1, 2, and 3:
First 10 minutes-- Walk for 10 minutes at a comfortable pace to warm up.
Second 10 minutes-- Speed up your walking and interject 30 second 'jogs' whenever you feel you can (count to 30 in your head, you don't need to use a stop watch.)
DO NOT SPRINT. Just jog at a comfortable pace that is not a walk.
Last 10 minutes-- Walk for 10 minutes at a comfortable pace to cool down.
Week 2:
Runs 4, 5, and 6:
First 10 minutes-- Walk for 10 minutes at a comfortable pace to warm up.
Second 10 minutes-- Speed up your walking and interject 45 second 'jogs' whenever you feel you can (count to 45 in your head, you don't need to use a stop watch.)
DO NOT SPRINT. Just jog at a comfortable pace that is not a walk.
Last 10 minutes-- Walk for 10 minutes at a comfortable pace to cool down.
Other notes and RULES:
1) DO NOT extend these 'runs.' The 30 minutes is meant to be manageable and very easy to fit into almost any lifestyle with just a bit of tweaking. Who can't find 30 minutes 3 times in a week if she is trying to do something exciting and new?
(Try this suggestion:
Get up 40 minutes earlier-- 10 minutes for coffee and getting dressed and 30 mins to exercise.)
These runs are meant to be success stories for you-- ANYONE who can walk can do as I'm advising, it is all about your own pacing and level. If you can only manage ONE JOG in the 2nd 10 minutes, that's FINE. Just do it at your level and that is perfectly OK.
2) DO NOT all out run during the jogs. Most likely, you will feel like this is 'too easy' and 'not enough.' Enjoy that feeling of fitness and succeed. Do not pressure yourself to do more.
3) ENJOY the time you are out on your runs-- and know that this is just the beginning of a great fitness routine!!
4) Feel free to gently stretch before or after or both... you don't have to stretch to do this program because the walking constitutes your stretch, warm up-- but eventually, you'll need to incorporate some stretching into your program.
If anyone is going to do this, please let me know-- and I will give you weeks 3 and 4 once you finish up the first 2 weeks. Good luck!
Finally-- below are MY commitments to do this week, written the other day... I didn't follow through with everything this week, but did start wearing a pedometer.
Did 9300 steps on Saturday and 11,000 (can't recall exact number) yesterday.
Have already done over 2000 this morning on walk with dog!
Conclusions: Here are the things that would work best for me-- particularly if focused on during weekdays-- (the weekends are differently challenging):
Eating a tiny dinner
Drinking less or no alcohol during the week
Planning a PREDICTABLE dessert and limiting myself to that only (Like a skinny cow ice cream sandwich-- I can keep those in the house and eat only 1 at a time)
Do a really great brush / floss right after dessert and eat nothing more during the day
Start wearing a pedometer-- and get in 10,000 steps per day-- I believe I am WAY under that.**

11 comments:
Those lifestyle changes are the key to long term success! Great ideas with the running. I haven't tried running since I was younger, maybe I need to pick it up.
Thank you. I was hoping you wouldn't forget. This does seem very doable and I will start this even tonight I think. So do please list weeks three and four.
Do you keep a stop watch with you or just keep track of the 10 minute intervals with your phone or other devices.
I do think I would like to run. It was something I thought would be a good goal before I started WLS. I have been intimidated from the beginning.
Good luck this week. All those weekly commitments seem very doable. I think my blog this morning will follow yours with some weekly commitments!
I honestly hope that any comments I make are never taken as me thinking I know it all. :) I know what's been working for me, and it's definately along the lines of lifestyle, not diet program. :)
That running program sounds very doable. I still have to get weight off before I can consider high impact like running. But I do want to eventually do this. Thanks!
I really want to be a runner so thank you for posting this plan, it seems so doable. I look forward to sharing my tales about becoming a running lover.
Great plan. I too loved running back in the day and am trying to get back to it. BIG fan of little bursts of running interspersed with walking - that's how I went from walking with a friend to our local gelato place to, a year later, finishing a marathon.
I'm tentatively planning to run a 5-miler in Central Park at the end of October. Formal training starts in a couple of week. Very slow, walk/run. Yikes!
I love the plan,.. I really want to get into some kind of exercise to tighten up my legs and ass and running sounds great! I need to find a good boulder holder first though!! hugs
Great advice!
I have learned to love running also. May I recommend the TaTa tamer that lululemon makes. It is the best running bra ever! Oh, and poor Pat. Whoever that may be!
Pat isn't gone ... if it's who I think you mean. Pat now has a new blog under a different persona and based on what is on the new blog vs the old blog, it seems Pat has gained about 60-70 pounds. Of course, Pat hasn't admitted to that on the new blog.
Is it So Fat 4 now?
Yeah Pat - ahem - Allan is a frickin' hypocrite! He's still bashing folks trying to lose weight but now at his new home. Seems he had to create a new blog to "erase" his weight gain. So not only is he a plagiarizing liar, he's a hypocrite too. In black & white. So to all of you out there that saw him as the messiah, take note. He's not even man enough to own up to his gain, but he's still bashing those of you out there losing a 1/2 pound a week religiously telling you it's only feces. What a piece of work!
Post a Comment