good ole ticker...

Saturday, July 30, 2011

I can do anything for 3 minutes


Thanks to Catherine (Lap Band Chronicles)-- I got motivated to get back to my exercise 'routine.'  I am the type of person who is very ruled by routines.
My daily routine has been pretty devoid of dedicated exercise-- though I have made efforts with the pedometer of late.

However: a good run never hurt anyone-- and since I am such a proponent of running, I decide to go out this morning with doggy and take a jog.  I was very pleasantly surprised (and for all of you NEW runners out there- remember, I have been a runner for many years on and off) that I was able to run for 30 minutes without stopping.  I'm not saying I was running fast, just a comfortable jogging pace-- but I felt good and it is always such an accomplishment to say "I went for a run today!!"

I definitely want to go back for more...
The picture of me, above, is me post run with t-shirt off... I have to admit, that is about 10 shots in, I really had to try a bit to get a picture I found acceptable.  I am most certainly not at a weight (and almost never have been in my life) that I feel comfortable with how my body looks no matter what angle or what picture.  I will say that I haven't been shocked, disgusted and frightened by any recent photos of myself.  That's progress!!

As for "I can do anything for 3 minutes"-- one of the techniques I've used over the years to get myself to run up a hill or finish a prescribed time of running (today, I decided on 30 minutes) is to say those words and then count backwards from 180 seconds.  Just a little mental technique that helps pass the END of a workout and gets you where you want to go.

It worked this morning and got me to 30 minutes when I felt like quitting after my blackberry battery died and the music I was playing stopped... but nope: I said to myself "C'mon girl,  you can do anything for 3 minutes!!" And so I did.

This technique got me thinking about ways that the "I can do anything for 3 minutes" concept could be applied to a craving.  I honestly have not been trying very hard to avoid cravings, rather, just giving in.  I know that's why I'm remaining pretty stuck in the high 150's.
Don't get me wrong, I recall being stuck in the 170's... so I am grateful to be down at this weight level.  But I am NOT FINISHED.

So, without getting into too much complication-- I'm just going to see how applying the "I can wait for 3 minutes" before eating something inadvisable works with the technique of "Eat protein, veggies and fruit before any treats".... and get my water in before any other caloric (ahem, alcoholic) beverages cross my lips.

That's my deal today.

How about you???

5 comments:

Amanda said...

look at those abs lady!

I am actually doing a weightloss challenge with 40 other people. We do 2 workouts a week with a trainer then the other three days I am just getting some cardio in. Its for 12 weeks and it has been very successful with this gym. I am enjoying it but I do think instant gratification is an issue with me. I was a swimmer in my past life and trained hard in college so I am enjoying toning. And thanks to you I am actually enjoying running!

dede said...

You look so damn FANTASTIC!!! LOOK AT YOU!!! You are a great inspiration!! I love reading your blogs and have bookmarked so many of your pages!!!
love love
dede

Barbara said...

V, you look INCREDIBLE.. and motivated me so much that I went for a jog walk (but on the treadmill) I am too much of a weany to go out in this heat!! good for you.. but damn girl you look great!!

Jacquie said...

Lookin good V! Keep up with the jogging, you will crash out of those 150's in no time! Hmmm...maybe I should take my own advice, I am so sick of seeing 152 - 153!

Sandy said...

You do look great even though you can't always see it. I would never be caught dead without a T-shirt to cover my stomach! And you are so right. You can do anything for 3 minutes. I'll be working on that too.

I met with a friend yesterday who had the band 3 years ago. Her starting weight was ~230lbs and she is about 140 lbs now but didn't see the last 20 drop until last year (after 18 months). In fact she got really sick in March with a tight band and dropped to 130 lbs. She's much better now after an unfill and looks fab. So we still have to give this band it's job to do. I'm still holding out that year two will be the one that get's my weight moving again. And if not there is still the rest of our lives.

BTW, this friend never exercises but I believe it is so important for health and feeling good, so keep it up.